LSR7 releases guidelines for fall athletics and activities
This year, the district has embraced a new way of doing things as we work to serve and provide opportunities for students during these unprecedented times. Our coaches and directors paved the way this summer for creating safer extracurricular environments for our students by implementing new health and safety guidelines into our programs in the hopes that all of our seasons can proceed.
We are pleased to share that the Greater Kansas City Suburban Conference — of which all three Lee’s Summit High Schools are members of — has voted to move forward with fall sports and activities and our programs will be able to continue this fall.
To ensure that this opportunity remains a reality, our commitment to the health and safety of our students, coaches and parents must continue and expand as we work together to proceed with our athletic and activities seasons, while limiting risk within our community.
To support the safety of all those who participate in and support our athletic and activity programs, the Lee’s Summit R-7 School District will implement the following health and safety precautions within our programs this fall.
- All athletic/activity events will be closed to the public with limited fan attendance. Parents should also know that some events, such as tournaments and lower level events, may not allow any spectators because of limited space to socially distance.
- Due to Jackson County executive orders capping gatherings at 100 people, attendance at our home competitions or events will be limited to no more than 100 spectators. Athletic and activity program leaders will be in communication about how tickets will be dispersed per program or event.
- Throughout the conference, host schools will determine tickets, so there is a possibility attendance guidelines for our families could change for away competitions or events. However, limitations on attendance in Lee’s Summit will mean that LSR7 will not be able to host visiting team/event spectators for many of our events or competitions.
- All spectators in attendance will be expected to wear masks at all times and socially distance; at no time will spectators be allowed to come onto the playing surface/field. Family units may sit together.
- For the safety of all, concessions and tailgating will no longer be permitted. Those attending may bring in bottled water or bottled soft drinks. Parking lots and school grounds will be closed except for those attending events.
While these precautions mean our competitions and school events will look and feel different this year, we are confident that we can all work together to ensure that our seasons run smoothly and remain a positive experience for our students.
We will strive to live stream varsity events when possible, and continue to look for other opportunities to help our community engage with our students’ success.
Public health information is rapidly evolving, and it is important to remember that these guidelines will be updated as needed as we work closely with the Greater Kansas City Suburban Conference, local health officials, and our state activities association to prioritize health and safety.