Securly Home – Parent Portal Access and Content Filtering at Home
The Lee’s Summit R-7 School District uses an internet filter called Securly to help keep students safe while using their school-issued Chromebooks. After listening to parent and community feedback on students’ technology use, we are pleased to announce that parents and guardians will now have access to Securly Home, a feature allowing visibility and control of their child’s internet access at home while on the district-issued Chromebook. Securly Home is now part of the software solution the district is currently subscribing to on an annual basis.
Fox 4 joined us this week to help communicate the features of the new Securly app. See the story here. It highlights Richardson Elementary’s Korie Boenker and Dr. Amy Gates.
Here are some features offered by Securly Home:
- Weekly Updates – Parents and guardians will begin receiving emails each Monday that summarize their child’s previous week of Internet activity and searches. They will also be able to see any content that was flagged for bullying, self-harm or suicide.
- Real-Time Usage Review – Parents and guardians wishing to have real-time information about their child’s Internet use can access the Securly parent portal or download the Securly Home app on their mobile device.
- Controls and Filters – The parent portal and Securly Home app will also give parents the ability to modify some Internet filter settings during times the Chromebook is being used off-campus. For example, if parents want the Chromebook turned off at 7:00 p.m. each night, they can simply click a button in the Securly Home app.
Parent and/or guardian accounts will be created by using the parent/guardian email account on file with LSR7. This is the email address listed in Parent 1, Parent 2 and Parent 3 fields at registration. If you need to change these email addresses, please contact your child’s school.
Securly sent a “Welcome Email” on Tuesday, April 23rd. After receiving this email, parents and guardians are able to access the parent portal and/or download the Securly Home app. Please click here for a short video tutorial on using Securly Home.
Should you have any technical questions, please do not hesitate to contact email@example.com. Your school is not able to assist with Securly Parent Portal questions, so please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions or concerns about your student’s safety at school, please contact your principal.
If you have trouble downloading the Securly Home app once you receive the “Welcome” email from Securly, please contact email@example.com.
If you have not received your “Welcome” email from Securly and it is past the district’s launch date what should you do?
- Double-check your spam folder to make sure it is not there.
- The email will come to the address you have on file in PowerSchool. This is the email address you inputted at registration. If you feel that email may be wrong, please call your student’s school office.